Sunday, May 20, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 5/12-5/18



Two Magpies-The Fireman
Secret Love-The Balham Alligators
Romance In Durango- Bob Dylan
Think Back- Galactic w/ Chali 2na
Tennessee Jed- Levon Helm
Nothing Rhymed- Gilbert O'Sullivan
Touched By The Sun- Carly Simon

zip


Two Magpies- The Fireman
Gave "Electric Arguments" a spin. Some of the more ambient stuff at the end slows things down a bit, but the first half is some truly terrific McCartney. Love the vibe of "Two Magpies."

Secret Love-The Balham Alligators
With a Nick Lowe E.P. on the horizon, I thought about this Cajun gem from his longtime keyboardist Geraint Watkins.

Romance In Durango- Bob Dylan
Was part of yet another discussion about Dylan's best work and I mentioned how "Desire" does not get enough credit. Love this track.

Think Back- Galactic w/Chali 2Na
When Galactic released their album "From The Corner To The Block," I wasn't too thrilled with the idea that there would be some hip hop elements to it. I just wanted some good ol' New Orleans funk and R&B. I was surprised by how well the whole record worked, especially this track with Chali 2na from the Jurassic 5. I just love the quality and phrasing of Chali's voice.

Tennessee Jed- Levon Helm
This is how you take an oft-covered tune and make it something special. Talking about Levon Helm and his underappreciated skills behind the drum kit, this is a classic Helm pocket.

Nothing Rhymed-Gilbert O'Sullivan
Hadn't heard this in a while and so I played it. A beauty.

Touched By The Sun- Carly Simon
Same here. Can't recall the last time I heard this tune, so I played it. Not sure what made me think of it. Stunningly powerful.

7 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Thanks Sal.

Funny ... a friend mentioned Carly Simon just the other day. I can't recall when I last thought of / listened to her and now twice in a week!

cmealha said...

How did I not know about Geraint Watkins in The Balham Alligators? Love it! Thanks.

Dr Wu said...

Thanks for the share - both the songs and the background to their selection. Excellent stuff all around, Sal!

Michael Giltz said...

I finally dug into McCartney's Fireman project (thanks Spotify!) so you tipped me to that track before you tipped me again today.

And of course Dylan's Desire doesn't get enough credit. Who the heck would want to follow Blood On The Tracks? I don't think it makes my Top 10 Dylan albums, but then that's hardly an insult since we're talking Dylan. I haven't spun it in a while though so you've prodded me but the one-two punch of "Hurricane" and "Joey" exhausts me as side openers. On the other hand, he dissed "Isis" long before everyone else.

P.S. is "spun" delightfully archaic or given the hip resurgence of vinyl actually right on time?

A walk in the woods said...

I've been listening to that Fireman album lately too, love it.

Thanks for the mix Sal!

Joe said...

It's good to see Levon in the mix. I went back and gave Electric Dirt another listen and remembered why I enjoyed it so much before. Thanks for getting me back on track. joe

dogbreath said...

The Gilbert O'Sullivan could fit into your guilty secrets category, imo, but as I'm lucky to not have any guilty feelings about anything (life's too short) I don't care who knows I love the song. A good little zip job. Many thanks!