Thursday, May 17, 2018

Demos and Alternates Week, Part Four: Cheap Trick & Todd Rundgren



With the Todd Rundgren and Utopia reunion tour in full swing, I started listening to records I hadn't played in some time, including 1984's "Oblivion," which felt like a major disappointment at the time, coming after their 1982 self-titled, pop gem, "Utopia." 34 years later, it all played a lot better than I remembered it, especially the hit, "Crybaby." But back then, there was something about "Crybaby" that felt very familiar.

In August of 1983, Cheap Trick released their pop gem, "Next Position, Please," produced by Todd Rundgren. On it was a Rundgren original, "Heaven's Falling," which to my ears is actually "Crybaby." Different lyrics, different melody, but yet these songs feel the same. The structure, the way both Zander and Todd begin the first verse in a low register, the way they both cry out the chorus, the backing vocals. It all feels like the same song.

I don't know which was written first, and I guess it doesn't matter. But I have always been fascinated by the two. Both songs are favorites of mine, like getting two great songs out of one great idea.



6 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

You're right. I happen to have a guitar in my lap, and at first comparison, they're in the same key, and the structure really similar if not the same.

Shriner said...

Yeah, I've always thought they were essentially the same song too. Both are great, though! Highlights on each album!

Not dissimilar to how "Mirage" by Tommy James and the Shondells is "I Think We're Alone Now" with the chords reversed.

Troy said...

IMO, 'Heaven's Falling' is a great long-lost Utopia song that just happens to be sung by Robin Zander. The clear highlight of the NPP album, along with 'I Can't Take It' and the zany 'Invaders of the Heart'. I'm lukewarm to most of the rest of the album but those 3 are great.

I always liked Oblivion, especially 'Crybaby'. They did a weird-ass video for the song and that is where I first heard it, bought the album soon after. Sure it was not on the same level as the S/T album, but it still had some real good moments. 'Winston Smith Takes it on the Jaw' was another favorite, don't know why, I just liked it. And 'Love With a Thinker' could have fit in on the S/T album. There is an import version on Amazon that has a bonus DVD, Live at the Royal Oak 1981. Have you seen the DVD? I didn't even know it existed.

Finally, what do you think of POV?

FD13NYC said...

Yep, I'm in agreement with that. But as we know, almost everything Todd produces sounds like a Todd record, which isn't a bad thing. I Can't Take It from the album is my fave.

Sal Nunziato said...

"'Heaven's Falling' is a great long-lost Utopia song that just happens to be sung by Robin Zander."

Well, that's what I am saying, Troy. The two songs share more than a writer and producer. I think "NPP" has a lot more going for it than three songs. "Younger Girls" is a killer. "Y.O.Y.O.Y." has some great, dreamy Beatle-esque harmonies, as does "I Don't Love Here Anymore.

I used to own the Live Oak VHS--good show.

Finally, POV is my least favorite of all. A few gems, but most of it feels tossed off.

Anonymous said...

I always wanted to hear a Todd album with him using Cheap Trick as his backing band.

Randy